Tell → Sell → Consult → Joins
To what extent do you think leadership style would be the most important factor in successfully implementing such a controversial decision? Justify.
If people are able to relate to their manager and have a friendlier relationship with them then they will be more willingly to accept a controversial decision so:
- more team based approaches will likely have a higher success rate
- more task focused approaches will likely be met with greater resistance
- adopting a more reasonable approach, and listening to subordinates as well as having some room to negotiate an alternative will probably lead to a more motivated workforce.
What is meant by “subordinate”?
- Somebody who is below a manager in a hierarchy, typically directly
What is the term “manager-centred leadership”?
- A manager makes a decision and announces it to subordinates. There is no room for negotiation.