Python is the language you use to define how to solve a problem
In solving the problem, it is very common to need to access a database
SQL is the language that we use to define the database problem that needs solving
Python and most other languages provide modules to allow you to issue SQL commands to a database and read the results back
This means having one source file with two programming languages in it (Python and SQL)
Python supports many DBMS
Some examples include:
- Very basic, single access, limited data types. Included with Python.
- Very popular, very sophisticated DBMS. Free and used on lots of web servers.
- MS SQL
- Very popular, very sophisticated. Has a free express version. Used by many businesses and some webservers. Produced by Microsoft.
- A graphical database system produced by Microsoft. Highly unrecommended for most use cases. Does not stick to Microsoft standards.
Connecting to a database with Python
Connect to the DBMS
Issue SQL commands or queries
Read and process results
- You only need to do this for commands that return a result
Disconnect from the DBMS
In some instances it might be more efficient to connect once do lots of commands and then disconnect.